Monday 19 October 2009

Camera

So the priority would be, money before photography right now. The reason for that being I want a Plaubel Makina 67 medium format camera of which boasts a Nikon 80mm f2.8 lens. It's one of the only cameras that I have not heard any bad things about at all. The main reason being; most of the photographers I researched for my dissertation of who form a major part in all things I do photographically used it at some point in their careers.


The obvious attraction is the sharp lens that the camera has, boasting an aperture of f2.8 it must have been a pioneering piece of kit in its day and remains a very well respected camera trusted by many. I have however let a few sub £1000 ones slip through my hand on ebay recently. I'm not happy buying one off ebay but it seems the only place to find one.

Spending that much on a film camera may beg the question why am I not buying a decent digital SLR because, film is much of a fine art route in photography yet digital at the moment is very mainstream with little out there that comes close to such beauties like this so called 'Texas Leica'.

Even though having this camera would not automatically produce crisp, sharp photographs it is all about the eye that sees through the lens as well. To have a tool like that would surely help along the way.

It begs the question why does one need such a camera when any good photographer can make decent photographs no matter what the tool they are using. I have been very much a fan of using my camera phone, right from my very first one all those years ago. I haven't tested the BlackBerry photographic capabilities just yet (something of which I don't hold out much hope for). Once I have established how to take the sluggish, I mean desperately slow auto focus off then maybe I can road test it.

An interesting piece of work that I stumbled across is by a photographer called Chase Jarvis. A well known photographer of who I have just established. He is on a quest taking 1000's of photographs on his wait for it . . . iPhone. Some might say a daring task, but it is to be fair always in your hand or pocket waiting shoot images left right and centre. It might only be 2 megapixels but it records objects and light in much the same way that every other camera does, it's just the resolution and sensor size that depicts how big you can enlarge the photos but when you have established the best conditions to use it much like any camera then you are onto a winner.


Regardless of this is still want to buy the Plaubel among other cameras of which I will eventually make a wish list, I may have to make do with what I have got at the moment. Camera phones are fast becoming tools used to record data more and more yet it's not quite there yet. Even David Bailey has got involved with with it.


Maybe it's time to take it further use the camera phone further . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment